MAKEDEV-1.7 and hdx >hdg

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 14:50:49 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:41:22PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:

> If someone else wants to take over maintainence of MAKEDEV, they're more
> than welcome.  To be honest, it's such a mess that some better solution
> is needed (I still wish devices.txt was parsable).  Roll on udev,
> that's what I say.

Matthias already took care of the parsing. I've been using make_devices
on every machine I have for almost 2 years. How often does hardware
change that requires additional devices? It's easy enough to create the
foreseeable stuff, too, like hd{a,b,c,d}[1-12]. For me that's way more
than I think I will need, but I create those just to not have to bother
later if I put an HD in that has 12 partitions. Basically you spend one
time (the first time) *learning* about devices and mknod by going
through and having to choose. Then you're done! Simple, educational,
non-buggy. What more do we need?

--
Archaic

"The power to tax involves the power to destroy;...the power to destroy
may defeat and render useless the power to create...."

- Chief Justice John Marshall, 1819.