LFS-5.1-pre1 info

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Fri Jan 30 21:49:38 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>lfs-bootscripts 0.12 - 0.13
>lfs-utils 0.4.2 - 0.4.3 (untested, we trust Zack right :) )

Then I add a wish to the list, concerning bootscripts:

Some BLFS packages (currently only MySQL, but there will be also
winbindd from SAMBA 3.0.x) require the process to be killed not by
enumerating all pids as we do now, but by reading the pid from the pid
file. Since there will be more than one package that needs this
functionality, we want to put that as a function into
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions.

And a side note. The "loadproc" and "killproc" as defined by LSB (get
the pid from a file in /var/run) are IMHO not well designed. They cannot
be implemented correctly at all if a program cannot put its pid file in
/var/run due to insufficient permissions. Currently this includes MySQL,
Apache, SQUID (they run from another user and /var/run is writable only
by root) and BIND (it is chrooted and cannot access /var/run). So why
follow this bad standard and not wait until it is corrected?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov