LFS-5.1-pre1 info

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 30 12:50:49 PST 2004

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:49:38 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>>
>>>lfs-bootscripts 0.12 - 0.13
>>>lfs-utils 0.4.2 - 0.4.3 (untested, we trust Zack right :) )
>>>

>> Then I add a wish to the list, concerning bootscripts:
>>
>> Some BLFS packages (currently only MySQL, but there will be also
>> winbindd from SAMBA 3.0.x) require the process to be killed not by
>> enumerating all pids as we do now, but by reading the pid from the pid
>> file. Since there will be more than one package that needs this
>> functionality, we want to put that as a function into
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions.
>>
>> And a side note. The "loadproc" and "killproc" as defined by LSB (get
>> the pid from a file in /var/run) are IMHO not well designed. They cannot
>> be implemented correctly at all if a program cannot put its pid file in
>> /var/run due to insufficient permissions. Currently this includes MySQL,
>> Apache, SQUID (they run from another user and /var/run is writable only
>> by root) and BIND (it is chrooted and cannot access /var/run). So why
>> follow this bad standard and not wait until it is corrected?
>
> This functionality was added by nathans patch to his personal
> bootscripts and advertised on the site a while back.
> Unfortunaly the feedback was minimal, maybe he can post the url
> again so that you can check it out. iirc the information was obtained by
> using fuser

I did?  [I cant think of anything that changes what killproc does]

Well, I get to play with the real CVS tree now, but the stuff that used
fuser, was the netfs script that me and DJ made.  It just looked at what
files were in use in a specific directory, so that we can kill programs
still running that use that mounted filesystem before we unmount it...