RFC: Bootscript Changes

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sat Jan 31 14:34:16 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Why not just make it easy:
> "Press *any* key to continue..." and then use 'read -n 1'?  Have I
> missed anything in my simplicity?

And as we found before, I did miss something.  This doesn't work in
ash's read.  Here is another simple one though, kinda silly, but it
works in both ash and bash.  Since the 'head' binary is already in /bin.
  Leave the message as "Press <Enter> to continue..." and then do
'/bin/head -n 1 > /dev/null'.  That works from the prompt with ^M ^J or
a real <Enter>...or any other key combination that I can come up with,
so long as it is followed by one of those three chars.  Other than abuse
of 'head', any oversights about that?  I still can't believe there is
not a built-in function similar to a 'get'.

-- DJ