RFC: Bootscript Changes

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 31 00:58:26 PST 2004

> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
>>[notices the pitchfork comment was on the top still]
>>

> By mistake :) Honest. Just wanted to leave a couple of lines in for
> reference.
>
>>By bootscripts, do you mean the random/netfs, or do you mean scripts such
>>as the sshd startup/shutdown script?
>>

> All the scripts, similar to LFS so that the book can only mention
> creation of the symlinks. Or better yet, if you can have additional
> targets in the Makefile such as "make install-sshd" that would be really
> great.

well, I dont think putting every script from blfs into /etc/rc.d/init.d/
is that great of an idea, but putting additional make install targets into
the bootscripts sounds great.

One thing I wanted to do, me and DJ [well, DJ's been maintaining it a
while, wonder if I recognize it] built that netfs script.  Since all it
does is mount -O _netdev, and umount -O _netdev [and a replacement for
sendsignals],  I was going to add that to the default bootscripts.

I was a bit curious why the random script in BLFS never went into LFS...
[Perhaps it's the write to /var/lib]