RFC: Bootscript Changes

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sat Jan 31 23:52:00 PST 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> All the scripts, similar to LFS so that the book can only mention
> creation of the symlinks. Or better yet, if you can have additional
> targets in the Makefile such as "make install-sshd" that would be really
> great.

I really like that idea too.  Unfortunately, I see one downfall.  Each
time a new section is added to BLFS that requires a startup script, a
new lfs-bootscripts would have to be released.....unless we still keep
the scripts in the book (maybe in the appendacies).  Not to put a damper
on your suggestion Tushar, I still like it, but some coordination in
BLFS is necessary, at least more than just sending the script to Jeremy
and Nathan.  Or would you (or whoever has an idea) suggest to keep the
script creation inline with the instructions untill stable LFS picks up
the new bootscripts package?  This method would make certain that the
maintainer of the package instructions in BLFS would have to update just
after release of a stable LFS book.  I'm aware that this discussion is
heading towards BLFS territory now, but affects both projects and best
kept here for the moment IMO.

-- DJ