Formal Complaint about off-list development discussions.

The Old Fellow nowhere at all.com
Thu Jul 1 00:23:12 PDT 2004

Increasingly, LFS development discussions are taking place on IRC and in
private emails.  This is unavoidable if we want things to move fast -
and I do.

However, IRC cannot be monitored 24/7 by people wanting to UNDERSTAND
the reasons for changes.  So this places some restrictions on how this
can be used, in my opinion.  Private emails can't be monitored at all.

I would like the 'management' to institute an editor's rule that says:

"Discuss changes all you want, and in any way that works.  But, before
committing a major change, email lfs.dev with a summary of the
discussion for the LFS archives."

I'm not suggesting this for typo corrections and version updates.  The
final straw for me was the move of hotplug's bootscript from rcsysint to
rc3/4/5.  This may well be the right solution, but we should have the
reasons logged in the archives.  And note that although Alexander was
the committer, I gather that it was discussed on IRC, so there are
several guilty parties, in my opinion.

Regards,
Richard.

--