Formal Complaint about off-list development discussions.

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 1 00:55:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:23:12 +0100
The Old Fellow <nowhere at all.com> wrote:

> Increasingly, LFS development discussions are taking place on IRC and
> in private emails.  This is unavoidable if we want things to move fast
> - and I do.
>
> However, IRC cannot be monitored 24/7 by people wanting to UNDERSTAND
> the reasons for changes.  So this places some restrictions on how this
>
> can be used, in my opinion.  Private emails can't be monitored at all.
>
> I would like the 'management' to institute an editor's rule that says:
>
> "Discuss changes all you want, and in any way that works.  But, before
>
> committing a major change, email lfs.dev with a summary of the
> discussion for the LFS archives."
>
> I'm not suggesting this for typo corrections and version updates.  The
>
> final straw for me was the move of hotplug's bootscript from rcsysint
> to rc3/4/5.  This may well be the right solution, but we should have
> the reasons logged in the archives.  And note that although Alexander
> was the committer, I gather that it was discussed on IRC, so there are
>
> several guilty parties, in my opinion.

Thanks Richard.  I responded to Alex's commit on lfs-book and I'm not
going to repeat it all here.  Interested folks can see it in the
archives.

Essentially it boils down to exactly what you posted above, although
this particular change could have been posted to lfs-hackers rather than
lfs-dev.

Cheers,

Matt.