Formal Complaint about off-list development discussions.

The Old Fellow nowhere at all.com
Thu Jul 1 01:19:53 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:23:12 +0100
> The Old Fellow <nowhere at all.com> wrote:
>

>>I would like the 'management' to institute an editor's rule that says:
>>
>>"Discuss changes all you want, and in any way that works.  But, before
>>committing a major change, email lfs.dev with a summary of the
>>discussion for the LFS archives."
>

> No. not AGAIN. why isnt this understood by now?!
>
> The way it was decided to be done, after LENGTHY discussion was that the
unstable book was a playground, allowed to have ANYTHING done without
discussion at  that exact moment, etc. This is the way it was decided
allowed people to develop quickly. the .hackers list is a place where
*unstable* devs can (if they like) discuss stuff more formally.
(I dont entirely agree with this setup but the majority of developers
like to work that way, so...)

> It was decided that the deadline for discussion ON LISTS was before
inclusion in the *testing* book, and that no change owuld be allowed to
be merged with testing until it had been aired on the .dev mailinglist.

> no part of the above process is hidden or closed. if you want to follow
the leading edge you will have to keep up with it on IRC and in .hackers.
If you dont want to follow the leading edge, thats OK, you can still be sure
that changes wont ultimately be given the nod without public airing on .dev

> What is WRONG and should not happen, is private discussion by email.
theres no need for it. Anyone doing it should be shot at dawn.

Then the way it was decided to be done is WRONG.

You can't expect people to monitor IRC 24/7, especially if you are not
in the US timezones.

All I want is a SUMMARY, not a DISCUSSION.  I don't want anyone to have
to ask for permission, I just want a summary of the reasons.

If I don't know why - I can't UNDERSTAND, can I?

If I didn't want to understand, I'd f-off and use gentoo or fedora.

--
The Old Fellow
Replies will go to the great black hole