Formal Complaint about off-list development discussions.

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 1 08:53:05 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai said the following on 01-07-2004 17:13:

> The problem is that testing is not a different branch. At a particular
> point in time, the unstable will be branched into testing and all the
> "undiscussed changes" that went into unstable will be part of testing.
> This concern was also brought up during the heavy discussion on hotplug.

Yeah, the current development model is still broken. This is how it
should be:

* stable: released, tagged and well-tested LFS book.
* testing: relatively stable. Merges relatively stable changes from
unstable. Development branch for stable release.
* unstable: developers-only playground, bleeding-edge, may not built,
may not be coherent, may include CVS packages, (anything, actually).

New LFS users use stable, regulars use testing and developers (and
bleeding-edgers) use unstable. Currently, we have no testing branch,
thus unstable fullfils that function. Which means that the current model
is exactly the same as the previous (CVS/release) model, with all its
problems.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans