Formal Complaint about off-list development discussions.

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jul 1 10:38:28 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai said:
> Ian Molton wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:19:53 +0100
>>The Old Fellow <nowhere at all.com> wrote:
>>

>>>All I want is a SUMMARY, not a DISCUSSION.  I don't want anyone to
>>>have to ask for permission, I just want a summary of the reasons.
>>>

>>Feel free to ask, but no-one is obliged to answer unless they are about
>>to put the change into testing.
>>

> The problem is that testing is not a different branch. At a particular
> point in time, the unstable will be branched into testing and all the
> "undiscussed changes" that went into unstable will be part of testing.
> This concern was also brought up during the heavy discussion on hotplug.

What gives you this idea, Tushar?  Part of the REASON to move to
subversion was to get away from exactly this need - the need to take the
entire tree, as it is at a certain point, to make the branch to stable.

Personally, I'm tired of having to discuss things ad-nauseaum on list all
the time.  The whole reason this project nearly died a few months back was
the REQUIREMENT that things be discussed and a decision came to on list -
the problem is, there was never any decision came to, so NOTHING could be
done with the book.

And what's more, *IF* one of us decides to do something new, and hope to
have that thing included in the book, it seems we're expected to ask the
lists for permission before doing so, or at least that's what it seems to
me.

-J-