Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jul 1 18:18:33 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> I was curious about what was going on with Hotplug in regards to
> Networking, Are we planning on moving from our current setup to a entirely
> hotplug driven system?

No. We will probably (if nobody tells us a better solution) have two
variables in the ifconfig.* files:

ONBOOT=yes: don't ignore this interface in S20network script
HOTPLUG=yes: don't ignore this interface when responding to hotplug events.

I will not move to entirely hotplug-driven setup for the following reasons:

1) I don't know how well it plays with IPX with current
(b)lfs-bootscripts. If the IPX settings are migrated to the main
ifconfig.eth0 file, this problem may go away
2) This doesn't play well with aliases. This problem will go away when
we push all aliases for eth0 into the main ifconfig.eth0 file.
3) Network coldplugging won't work at all for network cards compiled not
as modules, unless we write a completely custom /etc/hotplug/net.rc file.

The reason for network hotplug is merely to support Sharp Zaurus and
OpenZaurus users (I don't have Zaurus, but received a support request
from one of my friends).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .