Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 1 19:54:08 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

>>Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>>

>>>2) This doesn't play well with aliases. This problem will go away when
>>>we push all aliases for eth0 into the main ifconfig.eth0 file.
>>
>>Moving to using iproute2 instead of net-tools can eliminate the need for
>>aliases entirely. I don't use them any longer, I just use "ip address
>>add" to add my extra addresses to each NIC that needs them.
>

> Alexander was talking in the context of the LFS Bootscript configuration
> files, I believe.

Right, but if we are going to "push all aliases into the ifconfig.eth0
file", we might as well just find some method of not using aliases at
all, and supply multiple IP addresses so the ifup script can use "ip" to
add them to the NIC. It seems that iproute2 is definitely going into the
book, and ifconfig is leaving, in which case you can't even do aliases
at all unless they use the BLFS instructions to add ifconfig to their
system.