Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jul 1 20:20:16 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Right, but if we are going to "push all aliases into the ifconfig.eth0
> file", we might as well just find some method of not using aliases at
> all, and supply multiple IP addresses so the ifup script can use "ip" to
> add them to the NIC. It seems that iproute2 is definitely going into the
> book, and ifconfig is leaving, in which case you can't even do aliases
> at all unless they use the BLFS instructions to add ifconfig to their
> system.

My proposal is the following:

1) If no aliases are needed, keep the current "IP=192.168.1.100" line.
2) If multiple IPs are needed, put the following lines instead:

IP_ALIAS0=192.168.1.100
IP_ALIAS1=192.168.1.200

(and of course NETMASK_ALIAS1, BROADCAST_ALIAS1 and friends).

This is easily parsed by bash by constructing variable names and looping
until we find an unset variable.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .