Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 1 20:30:52 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> My proposal is the following:
>
> 1) If no aliases are needed, keep the current "IP=192.168.1.100" line.
> 2) If multiple IPs are needed, put the following lines instead:
>
> IP_ALIAS0=192.168.1.100
> IP_ALIAS1=192.168.1.200
>
> (and of course NETMASK_ALIAS1, BROADCAST_ALIAS1 and friends).

This works for me; if bash's arrays were easier to use they would be
better choice, but they are not. However, I would drop the word ALIAS
entirely, and just use:

IP=....

for a single address, and

IP0=...
IP1=...
IP2=...

for multiple addresses. The word "alias" won't be in any of the
documentation on the system once ifconfig is not there any longer, and
it's somewhat redundant when you are supplying a list of addresses
enumerated in this fashion.