Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Thu Jul 1 20:57:17 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig>
Newsgroups: lfs.dev
To: <lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

> Nathan Coulson wrote:
> > I was curious about what was going on with Hotplug in regards to
> > Networking, Are we planning on moving from our current setup to a
entirely
> > hotplug driven system?
>
> No. We will probably (if nobody tells us a better solution) have two
> variables in the ifconfig.* files:
>
> ONBOOT=yes: don't ignore this interface in S20network script
> HOTPLUG=yes: don't ignore this interface when responding to hotplug
events.

> I will not move to entirely hotplug-driven setup for the following
reasons:

> 1) I don't know how well it plays with IPX with current
> (b)lfs-bootscripts. If the IPX settings are migrated to the main
> ifconfig.eth0 file, this problem may go away
> 2) This doesn't play well with aliases. This problem will go away when
> we push all aliases for eth0 into the main ifconfig.eth0 file.
> 3) Network coldplugging won't work at all for network cards compiled not
> as modules, unless we write a completely custom /etc/hotplug/net.rc file.
>
> The reason for network hotplug is merely to support Sharp Zaurus and
> OpenZaurus users (I don't have Zaurus, but received a support request
> from one of my friends).
>
> --
I'm against the idea myself. We only support an IP environment the last time
I checked.

IPRoute2 does do aliases, read the documentation.

cold plugging of modules can be simplied added to modeprobe.conf
alias ethx module name

As far as modifying the boot scripts, all hotplug is needed for is to load
the driver, you don't need a special netrc with the configuration we are
currently using. I'm using it myself with no issues, the only thing hotplug
does is load my module for my nic.