Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Thu Jul 1 21:44:29 PDT 2004

Jim Gifford wrote:
> [...]

You haven't checked this:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/cvs/basicnet/ncpfs.html

> IPRoute2 does do aliases, read the documentation.

It does, and we are actually planning to use this package. The problem
is just to rewrite the "ifup" script.

> cold plugging of modules can be simplied added to modeprobe.conf
> alias ethx module name

You have not read my mail well enough. I was talking exactly about
non-modular kernels. The bad thing is that the net hotplug event happens
when the kernel has not mounted the root filesystem yet and the hotplug
package has no chance to handle it.

And your statement about alias ethx is valid only for net cards
undetectable by hotplug (e.g. old ne2000).

> As far as modifying the boot scripts, all hotplug is needed for is to load
> the driver, you don't need a special netrc with the configuration we are
> currently using. I'm using it myself with no issues, the only thing hotplug
> does is load my module for my nic.

Your statement is valid for the current bootscripts. Looks like you have
not caught the context of this thread. The proposal was:

Implement LFS specifics of network hotplug so that
/etc/hotplug/net.agent works and brings hotplugged interfaces up. Then
drop the S20network symlink and rely entirely upon hotplug to bring
interfaces up.

I am _against_ the proposal above, but for correctness I had to mention
the (nonexistent in LFS) /etc/hotplug/net.rc file while argumenting my
viewpoint.

I am _for_ the following proposal:

Implement LFS specifics of network hotplug so that
/etc/hotplug/net.agent works and brings hotplugged interfaces up.
Provide enough infrastructure to ensure proper communication with e.g.
Sharp Zaurus over "usb0" interface in all cases involving usbnet being a
module or non-module and for hot and cold plug cases. Don't fail at boot
if Sharp Zaurus is not connected.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .