Request For Info - Hotplug Network Plan

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri Jul 2 02:32:19 PDT 2004

Jim Gifford wrote:

>>To help me better understand your viewpoint, please answer the question
>>below.

You didn't.

>>The hotplug package supports network hotplug (i.e., automatically
>>bringing up the interface corresponding the hot-plugged USB network
>>card) on RedHat and Gentoo. Currently we just delete the
>>/etc/hotplug/net.agent file in LFS because our bootscripts don't have
>>enough functionality. Should we:
>>
>>A) Ignore the problem completely, say that network hotlug belongs to
>>neither LFS nor BLFS, close the discussion, and (ideally) write a hint.
>
> If the system is properly setup by following the book exactly there is no
> problem.
> We still recommend that all devices to be built into the kernel, again this
> is
> a non-issue.

You misunderstood the problem. I will try to make it more evident for
you, but first we must find some common base which we both understand
and agree with.

Let me check your understanding.

1) What is the function of the /etc/hotplug/net.agent file in the
original hotplug package?
2) Why do we remove this file in LFS?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .