Testing branch proposal

Zack Winkles zwinkles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 10:52:20 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 05:44:15 -0600, Archaic <archaic at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 01:14:45AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> >
> > Also, readline has been added. This was supposed to be addressed
> > before unstable went to testing (seemed to have much controversy
> > last time the subject came up).
>
> It is non-essential to a properly running LFS, and it is placed near the
> beginning of BLFS. Add to that the fact that a simple link placed in
> either the bash page or the e2fsprogs page pointing to BLFS will cater
> to all differing desires.

The build in BLFS is horribly flawed.  First, both the readline and
history libraries
use ncurses symbols, but neither of them link to the ncurses library
by default, meaning
that programs that test for their presence will report that they are
in fact NOT present.
Inetutils is a case in point.  Also, the GNU fixes patch is not
applied.  Until those two
issues are resolved, I will not let readline be dropped from LFS.