Testing branch proposal

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 5 14:01:11 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Greetings, dev readers!
>
> Now that GCC 3.4.1 has been released, the time I believe has come to
> consider cutting LFS to a testing branch.  However, the question is,
> what to bring with us to the testing branch.  Here's the new things
> we're looking at for the new LFS 6.0 testing branch, from what I can
> see:
>
> 1) Kernel 2.6

yep

> 2) NPTL

yep

> 3) Newer Glibc version

only if Ryan can make it rock solid.  This may lengthen the time to
stable more than we want.  If the tarball for 5.1 is good/close, why not
use it?

> 4) GCC 3.4.x

yep

> 5) Udev

yep

> 6) Hotplug

I agree with you on hotplug.  Seems not ready for prime time yet.  Maybe
6.1 or 7.0?

> And here's the issues, as I see them:

[snip]

> 2) NPTL: Small issue in that LFS 5.1.1 unmodified can not build this,
> nor can a lot of released distros - however, kernel upgrading is a
> relatively painless thing, and the issues that arise becuase of adding
> NPTL are minimal (few problems with packages that link to berkeley-DB).
> I think this should be a go as well.

I don't think this is an issue really.  We have the wiki pages that talk
about it and were put in to unstable and we can work out the symantics
in testing to make it sound good.

[snip]

James