[RFC] Package Rationale

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 5 14:42:21 PDT 2004

James Robertson said the following on 05-07-2004 22:57:

> I think that when we go to testing for 6.0, it would be a good idea to
> write up a page in the introduction somewhere about how we decide on
> what packages go in and then for each package in ch5 and 6 we add a
> "rationale" or some such section at the top of the page (in with SBU's?)
> to explain the reason for it's inclusion.

There was a big discussion about package rationale some time ago, I
guess you missed it. It was started because of the inclusion of hotplug
and udev. The (preliminary) results are collected in the Wiki:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=WhatPackagesInLFS.
It led to a more fundamental discussion about LFS, which led me to
rewrite the introduction:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=WhatIsLFS

Both pages are IMHO candidates for inclusion in the book, although no
bugs have been assigned.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans