[RFC] Re: Multiple services per interface

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Jul 7 04:07:10 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> oh, and all services in LFS and BLFS would have to stop sourcing the
> origional ifconfig.eth0 if we did this.

That's the only issue I see with it.  Sourcing a file (aka using the
shell's parser) looks much easier than trying to read and parse it
manually.  Even if the parsing is fairly easy.

However, we could do SERVICE1=whatever, IP1=whatever, etc., and then
check them in a loop (somebody said something similar to this earlier, I
just don't remember who or where; it may not have even been in relation
to the network bootscript at all).  I think I can do that easily enough,
assuming ash supports math expressions as a builtin -- expr is in
/usr/bin, so I'd need to use $((...)) instead (for bash anyway).

I don't have time to do it now, but I can see if ash supports it (at
least the ash that comes with Cygwin) while at work.  I can probably get
it going tonight if so.