LFS-6.0 print process

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 09:34:55 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

The time draws near to get started on the process getting the LFS (and
BLFS) books printed.

I will be starting the copy-editing process after this weekend which
will basically consist of me taking the text apart where needed and
putting it back together to make it sound all uniform and technically
correct. At the same time I'll do a technical review of the contents to
make sure all is correct, no missing explanations and things like that.

I will be taking a snapshot of the book this coming Friday which the
printed book will be based on. If you guys have any last minute changes
you would like to make, make them soon please.

It would be good to have the software versions mostly frozen at this
point but main development will continue (we'll probably end up creating
a branch, see below).

I'll get all the copy-edit changes back into the book at once rather
that small chunks at a time. I'll start on the layout work too to make
sure it all looks pretty.

Like I just said, it probably is a good idea to create a new branch on
Friday that will be used for the book version. The book will be slightly
different content wise of course. There's little need for a Changelog
for example so I'll probably remove it (reduce the page count which is
always a good thing) and maybe some other changes will take place that
come up during the layout work.

I need to generate PS and PDF files that will be sent to the publisher
with the proper margins and paper sizes setup. I will get the final
sizes by Friday so somebody can create me a stylesheet to render the XML
into a proper print version of PS and PDF.

Who will take care of the branching aspect? This should be done at the
same time I am ready to check out the XML so I can start working with
it. So, some time on Friday.

Who will take care of the stylesheet modifications to generate me proper
PS and PDF files with the margins and paper sizes setup?

As I make changes to the print-branch, it would be advisable to get
those updates into HEAD as well and keep the necessary changes in sync.
Likewise when changes to HEAD are made I'll pick them up if applicable
(for instance textual updates to things like Acknowledgements, and
whatever else). Any particular person who will do this part or just
whoever sees changes made to the print-branch first will incorporate
them as needed.

I think that concludes it for now. Any questions, comments or concerns?