[RFC] Re: Multiple services per interface

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 7 07:59:39 PDT 2004

> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>> oh, and all services in LFS and BLFS would have to stop sourcing the
>> origional ifconfig.eth0 if we did this.
>
> That's the only issue I see with it.  Sourcing a file (aka using the
> shell's parser) looks much easier than trying to read and parse it
> manually.  Even if the parsing is fairly easy.
>
> However, we could do SERVICE1=whatever, IP1=whatever, etc., and then
> check them in a loop (somebody said something similar to this earlier, I
> just don't remember who or where; it may not have even been in relation
> to the network bootscript at all).  I think I can do that easily enough,
> assuming ash supports math expressions as a builtin -- expr is in
> /usr/bin, so I'd need to use $((...)) instead (for bash anyway).
>
> I don't have time to do it now, but I can see if ash supports it (at
> least the ash that comes with Cygwin) while at work.  I can probably get
> it going tonight if so.

Alexander had this idea.  I didn't quite like how everything had to be
numbered though, and was hoping for a simpler configuration if possible.
(sorry alex...)

Perhaps something like

(
  while read line
  do
    `$line`
    if [ "$SERVICE" != "" ]
    then
      (
        SERVICE_BUF=$SERVICE
        SERVICE=""
        (2nd internal loop, until SERVICE is not "", then run ifup
$SERVICE_BUF)
      )
    fi
  done