LFS-6.0 print process

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 10:23:34 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 10:34:55 -0600

> Hi guys,
>
> The time draws near to get started on the process getting the LFS (and
> BLFS) books printed.

Great news :)

> I will be starting the copy-editing process after this weekend which
> will basically consist of me taking the text apart where needed and
> putting it back together to make it sound all uniform and technically
> correct. At the same time I'll do a technical review of the contents
> to make sure all is correct, no missing explanations and things like
> that.
>
> I will be taking a snapshot of the book this coming Friday which the
> printed book will be based on. If you guys have any last minute
> changes you would like to make, make them soon please.

I had planned to wait until the weekend to create the 'testing' branch,
but it now makes more sense (to me at least) to have the testing branch
act as both the 'testing' and 'print' branch, otherwise I fear we'll
spread our resources too thinly and have to duplicate changes over too
many branches.

> It would be good to have the software versions mostly frozen at this
> point but main development will continue (we'll probably end up
> creating a branch, see below).

Agreed.  See
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2004-July/047134.html
for a summary of what the book will look like once it's been pulled in
from unstable.  If you've any issues with those then now is the time to
speak up!

> Who will take care of the branching aspect? This should be done at the
> same time I am ready to check out the XML so I can start working with
> it. So, some time on Friday.

I'll deal with that - should be done by end of play tomorrow (approx

> Who will take care of the stylesheet modifications to generate me
> proper PS and PDF files with the margins and paper sizes setup?

If Manuel's available then I'd like him to take that on if he doesn't
mind.  If not I'll take a crack at it.  I'm open to other offers too
though :)

> As I make changes to the print-branch, it would be advisable to get
> those updates into HEAD as well and keep the necessary changes in
> sync.

Agreed.

> Likewise when changes to HEAD are made I'll pick them up if
> applicable (for instance textual updates to things like
> Acknowledgements, and whatever else).

Lightly disagree here.  If the changes are applicable to 'testing' then
they should be made there in the first instance, then propogated
upstream to 'unstable' if applicable.  That way we avoid a possibly
confusing 2 way syncing process.  This doesn't halt development of
unstable in any way - those changes that are *only* applicable to
'unstable' can still be made of course.

> Any particular person who will do this part or just whoever sees
> changes made to the print-branch first will incorporate them as
> needed.

I'll try and oversee the process, although any editor who has the time
to do so is of course more than welcome to sync the changes as well :)

Best regards,

Matt.