I18N and LFS

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 10:35:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:44:53 +0100
The Old Fellow <nowhere at all.com> wrote:

> Can we have a definitive decision on I18N, now that Alexander Patrakov
>
> has left the project?
>
> I would be sad to see his great achievement - to make systems built
> using the LFS instructions work for non-English languages - lost.

Yes, after his post I realised it was missing from the testing branch
discussion.  I'd like to see it go in, assuming it's reasonably complete
of course.  I know precisely nothing about i18n issues, largely through
ignorance and the luxury of only ever needing English locales.  If
someone, preferably Alexander himself, can summarise the current state
of play with regards to i18n then we can make a more informed decision
as to how to proceed with it.

> Accepting his decision, what we really need is someone who can take
> the project on to handle the more difficult problems like Arabic and
> Japanese, building a branch in svn, like Alex did for the modular
> kernal work, of course.

Agreed.

Best regards,

Matt.