Testing branch proposal

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jul 7 10:48:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:40:35 +0100
Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Surely it can't be as
> simple as thinking "Oh, you want bash?  Right, I have another bash
> process right here. Hmmm, what stuff can we re-use that's already in
> RAM?"- or is it?

Yup.

Or rather, not that the linker is doing this but the fact that the read
only pages of the executable are stored in RAM noly once (being read
only, why copy them - the processes sharing them cant corrupt each
other).

Dont forget the MMU in the machine maps the virtual address space of
each process onto physical memory - and its perfectly valid to map pages
from two processes to the same physical addresses.