I leave the project

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Wed Jul 7 12:43:52 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:45:30 +0200 Dan Osterrath <Dan.Osterrath at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2004 19:31 schrieb Matthias Benkmann:
> > On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:48:36 -0400 "dalriada at indy.net"
> > <dalriada at indy.net> wrote:
> > > And, why can't we have an lfs distro in addition to the original?
> >
> > Because source-based distros already exist, e.g. Gentoo.
>
> Not a reason for not having another (better) one. OTOH (e-)books 'bout
> creating a linux system already exists, too, e.g. TLDP.

But I think a distro in book form would only make sense if the
longstanding idea of customized LFS-book were realized, i.e. if someone
could pick the features he wants from a kind of "package manager" web form
and would get a book that contains exactly those features. This book would
give you the choice if you want to have i18n or not, for instance.
Or you could choose if you want udev or traditional device nodes.

But this is difficult, very difficult. The technical implementation would
be quite easy but maintenance becomes a nightmare. You can see the kinds
of problems when you look at how hints get out of sync with the book as
they age.

MSB

--
No one has ever lost money overestimating the stupidity of people.