LFS-6.0 print process

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 15:00:40 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 13:19, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Well, I don't quite see how that would work in the Real World.  The
> publishers won't want to print a book that has already been released
> weeks before they can get it into the bookshops, bearing in mind their

Indeed, that makes little sense.

> Those "in the know" will be aware that a checkout of the print branch
> once it's been frozen will have exactly what will be printed, but I'd
> imagine the publisher's won't want us to officially announce the release
> of the LFS-6.0 book until the printed copies are on the shelves.

We'll announce all that at the same time yes: both the online and
printed edition. At the time of release, pre-sales of the book will
start. It may still take a week or two before the books arrive at the
publisher's office since it has to be shipped out by truck.

> I'd appreciate it if Gerard could clarify his and the publishers
> positions on this though.

>From a sales point of view we'd sell more copies of a brand new book
than an old already released book which is what we're trying to
accomplish here of course.