LFS-6.0 print process

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 15:33:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:56:08 -0600
Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 11:23, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > I had planned to wait until the weekend to create the 'testing'
> > branch, but it now makes more sense (to me at least) to have the
> > testing branch act as both the 'testing' and 'print' branch,
> > otherwise I fear we'll spread our resources too thinly and have to
> > duplicate changes over too many branches.
> Under the circumstances that seems like the best thing to do yes.
> > > Likewise when changes to HEAD are made I'll pick them up if
> > > applicable (for instance textual updates to things like
> > > Acknowledgements, and whatever else).
> > 
> > Lightly disagree here.  If the changes are applicable to 'testing'
> > then they should be made there in the first instance, then
> > propogated upstream to 'unstable' if applicable.  That way we avoid
> > a possibly confusing 2 way syncing process.  This doesn't halt
> > development of unstable in any way - those changes that are *only*
> > applicable to'unstable' can still be made of course.
> Understood. When I said that before I assumed testing was part of HEAD
> and not a separate, but HEAD+testing being the same branch at the
> moment, your proposal makes more sense.

Well, I've created the testing branch at
svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/branches/testing.  So far I've
removed hotplug.  So, still to do are:

1) Confirm with BLFS that ed can migrate across
2) Confirm with BLFS that net-tools can migrate across
3) On a "yes" to 2) apply Jim's iproute2 patches to both books

If none of the above 3 get done in time, I don't see them as
show-stoppers, they're relatively minor in comparison to the other
changes that 6.0 brings with it.  However, they are "nice to haves"!

I'm trying to get render-lfs-book.sh to produce an online copy for
everyone to access but for the time being folks will just have to
download the copy at
or do an svn checkout and render it themselves of course.

As mentioned before, I don't foresee too many technical problems with
the testing branch.  However, there is a *lot* of documentation to put
in still.  I'll attempt to get this into the branch by the end of this



More information about the lfs-dev mailing list