LFS-6.0 print process

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 7 15:33:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:56:08 -0600

> On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 11:23, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > I had planned to wait until the weekend to create the 'testing'
> > branch, but it now makes more sense (to me at least) to have the
> > testing branch act as both the 'testing' and 'print' branch,
> > otherwise I fear we'll spread our resources too thinly and have to
> > duplicate changes over too many branches.
>
> Under the circumstances that seems like the best thing to do yes.
>
> > > Likewise when changes to HEAD are made I'll pick them up if
> > > applicable (for instance textual updates to things like
> > > Acknowledgements, and whatever else).
> >
> > Lightly disagree here.  If the changes are applicable to 'testing'
> > then they should be made there in the first instance, then
> > propogated upstream to 'unstable' if applicable.  That way we avoid
> > a possibly confusing 2 way syncing process.  This doesn't halt
> > development of unstable in any way - those changes that are *only*
> > applicable to'unstable' can still be made of course.
>
> Understood. When I said that before I assumed testing was part of HEAD
> and not a separate, but HEAD+testing being the same branch at the
> moment, your proposal makes more sense.

Well, I've created the testing branch at
svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/branches/testing.  So far I've
removed hotplug.  So, still to do are:

1) Confirm with BLFS that ed can migrate across
2) Confirm with BLFS that net-tools can migrate across
3) On a "yes" to 2) apply Jim's iproute2 patches to both books

If none of the above 3 get done in time, I don't see them as
show-stoppers, they're relatively minor in comparison to the other
changes that 6.0 brings with it.  However, they are "nice to haves"!

I'm trying to get render-lfs-book.sh to produce an online copy for
everyone to access but for the time being folks will just have to
download the copy at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/testing/LFS-BOOK-SVN-20040705-HTML.tar.bz2
or do an svn checkout and render it themselves of course.

As mentioned before, I don't foresee too many technical problems with
the testing branch.  However, there is a *lot* of documentation to put
in still.  I'll attempt to get this into the branch by the end of this
weekend.

Cheers,

Matt.