Kernel 2.4.x series book development

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 06:44:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:33:03PM +0100, Steve Martin wrote:

> Is all development on the 2.4.x series now suspended?

Development will continue, but sluggishly and as an afterthought. Mostly
just simple package updates, and maybe one last hurrah with the
toolchain. Basically, it's being kept as the base for HLFS and
production machines. Since most production machines reach a mature age
before being overhauled, I figure a patient roll out of a new toolchain
once should give 2.6 a good time to mature and reach patchlevel 12 or
higher and hopefully LFS 6.1 or 6.2 will be out, stable, and ready to
go. Of course, there are many who don't take my conservative viewpoint
and want to use LFS-6.0 for production machines, and that's all well and
good. They will find problems and workarounds faster than the more
conservative ones ever would.

--
Archaic

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one
tenth part.

- Benjamin Franklin