LFS-6.0 print process

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 07:43:08 PDT 2004

Ian Molton said the following on 08-07-2004 12:31:

> Let me expand on that...
>
> unstable can not just become stable - we've tried this and it doesnt work.

Agreed.

> Jeroen says make testing from stable. I dont see the point, as this just duplicates unstable in a slower manner.

Testing is an intermediary development line which tries to be as stable
as possible so it can be released. It makes sense to start from a known
stable release and merge changes from unstable into that branch, it
would reduce testing time and wouldn't duplicate known fallacies in
unstable (such as hotplug). Subversion makes this really easy. It
doesn't duplicate unstable since it only merges known "stable" changes.

> testing should be where we distill the best parts of unstable and test / stabilise them, ready to become the next stable.

Yes, and rather then add another branch, it would be much easier to work
from stable.

> If we dont want people to develop on the bleeding edge, why did we bring the BELFS people back into the book? we should have let them go and carried on plodding along in stable with our original development model.
>
> But it was enar unanimous - we wanted BELFS work to be done in the context of LFS.

For me, release management is very different from development
management. For development, we've chosen to go all the way to the
bleeding edge. Unstable really means unstable, and is what BE-LFS was. A
release on the other hand needs testing and QA procedures. Especially
when the release needs to get printed. Normal development occurs on
unstable, and testing is just the merging of stable changes.

> So, which is it to be?
>
> 1) Accept we need to change the development model and merge with BELFS
> 2) Keep our heads in the sand and carry on our old way, and let BELFS go its own way

I don't see why this choice needs to be made. BELFS is already
incorporated in our development model. The only thing we need to work
out is our release management:
1) testing branches from stable and merges from unstable
2) testing branches from unstable and is beat-up until it's stable

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans