Paper sizes and margins

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 17:10:38 PDT 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Just so there is no confusion: even pages are the ones on the left, odd
> ones are on the right. The reason the odd page margin is slightly larger
> is because the odd pages are bound on the side of the page (whereas with
> the even pages this happens on the right, or at the end of the page form
> a text flow perspective).

In the printing business, this is referred to as the "gutter"... the
place in the book where no printing shall go, as it will be unreadable :-)

How are you providing the book pages to the printer? Typically they will
have to impose your provided single pages into 2-up or 4-up, depending
on how they are physically printing the book, and they will usually add
the gutter margins themselves at imposition time. At least that's what
we always did when I worked in the printing business :-) The customers
were never expected to get these types of margins right, because if we
did they'd get it wrong and we'd have to fix it anyway <G>