I leave the project

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 8 19:50:59 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> On Thursday 08 July 2004 09:32 pm, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
>
>>>well, theres two solutions - either we go for fully hierarchical
>>>asynchronous, event driven bootscripts (way cool, but perhaps an
>>>LFS 7.0 thing)
>>
>>Now THAT sounds like some fun :-D
>>Count me in on that hackery ;-)
>>
>>[R]
>

> I agree. :)  Ian, care to expand on that idea a bit? It sounds very
> interesting, but I'm not sure I fully grasp the concept.

Absolutely, there are more than just three of us interested in this concept.

To some degree this brings back the old "depinit/minit/runit" discussion
of using a system startup process that is dependency based rather than
strictly ordered. With the addition of hotplug, device additions and
removals become additional dependency events that can cause scripts to
get run to start/stop services.