MultiProtocol per interface support (was Re: LFS-6.0 print process)

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jul 9 09:58:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:27:05AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Now I did mention the possibility of it being considered bloat ("a bit
> overkill for simple setups"), but don't see it as such.

Ah, OK.  So you were thinking that the entire idea of >1 service per
interface might be considered bloat, then?  Or not?

I can see that argument, I guess, but if somebody really doesn't like
it, they can just keep their current ifconfig file.  Nothing will change
(other than ifup/down will perform one extra check) as far as execution
time, only the amount of code in the ifup/down scripts.  And even that's
not horrible; it shouldn't be much more than 10-15 lines.  For the
people that need it, I can see how it'd be a big help.

Thinking about this a bit more, we could add something else also -- a
variable that gets set somewhere to indicate that we should *stop*
processing scripts when one succeeds (instead of processing all of them
always).  That way, the user can set it up so that DHCP is the "primary"
service, but they can fall back to a static IP if DHCP fails (for
example, because there aren't any DHCP servers up).  Sound useful, or
not?