I leave the project

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Fri Jul 9 12:44:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:03:32 -0400 Joel Miller
<cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

> Allow me to hijack this thread a little further, but every time people
> mention dependancy based init scripts this thought pops into my mind.
> Isn't make built to handle dependency things like this?

Well, kind of. In theory it should be possible to write bootscripts in
make. The idea is weird but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful. I've
used make for much stranger things than this.

make would not be a proper tool for dependency management in this context,
however, because

a) the only way make can maintain state information is via files, so it
requires a writeable filesystem which is not always available

b) make is ill-equipped for shutting down services. You'd need some kind
of UNmake for that

So, dependency management is best left to init and writing an init in make
would be a hideous hack (but I'd be the last person to claim it's
impossible).

MSB

--
Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic,
but one of them is paranoid and the other one is out to get him.