LFS-Bootscripts 2.2.0-pre1 released

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 10 18:31:32 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> use of ip instead of iproute2 to bring up TCP/IP interfaces

s/iproute2/ifconfig/ :-)

>   Since we are going for new releases of the LFS book, I would like to
> rename the dhcp, and static scripts to ipv4-static and ipv4-dhcp.  This
> has no technical advantage, but the time is right if we want to do it.

I agree, this makes sense. The service names should be as specific as
they can possibly be.

>   static IP Routes, I dont know what the progress on this is,  but kevin
> had a nice patch earlier.  [I admit, I dont know if anyone ever played
> with it].  I would like to combine this with the proposed changes to
> make ifconfig.eth0 a optional directory, and it could probably wait for
> the next release.

See my other mail... I want to see the directory-based configuration be
an option in the bootscripts, then I'll rework the patch. "static
routes" will only be available to users willing to use directory-based
configuration, I don't see any reason to support any other mode.

>   ifconfig.eth0 as a directory.  Again, I would like to wait until the
> next release, but one thing I do wish to change is the source
> ifconfig.eth0 line in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/services/static
> [and BLFS services] to source $SOURCE (or something simular)  [I am not
> sure what I should name the variable yet, and
> SOURCE=/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 is the best I can
> come up with].  (I just wish I could pass unknown unexported variables
> to the next bash script, would solve everything nicely).

OK, I'd like to see directory-based configuration in the next release;
it will be optional, right?

Regarding your variable naming dilemma: I don't see any way to avoid
having the service script re-source the ifconfig.<foo> file (you were
wondering how to export unknown variables to the service script; I don't
think there's a way to do that unless the variable names conform to some
pattern and you scan bash's variable list to export them). I would just
store the path into $IFCONFIG (or $CONFIG) and let the service script
source that.