LFS-Bootscripts 2.2.0-pre1 released

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 11 03:39:01 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:07:30PM -0700, jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

> This, coming from someone as security minded as you?
>
> I don't like my systems defaulting to single user mode - if the password
> file is corrupt going into single-user mode, then it accepts ANY password
> at all, and gives root access.  IIRC, that's why this functionality was
> originally removed from the bootscripts back in the day.

Hmmm. You've given me food for thought. I will ponder this problem today
while at work and see what scenarios playout in my head. I don't think
this is as simple as it might seem, especially when taking into account
remote systems...

--
Archaic

All governments are more or less combinations against the people. . .and
as rulers have no more virtue than the ruled. . .  the power of
government can only be kept within its constituted bounds by the display
of a power equal to itself, the collected sentiment of the people.

- Benjamin Franklin Bache, in a Philadelphia Aurora editorial 1794