LFS-Bootscripts 2.2.0-pre1 released

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 11 12:03:27 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 09:01:59AM -0700, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> As long as your running a 2.6.x kernel (pretty much a requirement for
> any system covered by LFS 6), ramfs is available, and unable to be
> disabled.  As far as static backup, IIRC 2 device nodes (console and one
> other) are created on the underlying filesystem in the book - this
> should be enough to at least get to a command prompt, at which point
> mknod *COULD* be used if needed.

Okay. I didn't realize that ramfs was explicit in the kernel. I thought
it was an option. This also adds to my thinking about the single-user vs
halt option. In that case, if the system has already booted successfully
before, then I concur that filesystem corruption could be a rather
likely culprit making single-user mode dangerous as the default. I
therefore repeal my original question.

--
Archaic

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and
as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."

- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787