A few notes on testing

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 11 19:19:09 PDT 2004

All,

I had a few notes left over from 5.1.1 that are still present in testing
that I wanted to throw out there.

1.) CH5 - at the end, before the strip command - would it be ok, to add
a list of "optional" packages to the tools set?  I was thinking of vim
and less for sure.  We would not provide instructions of any kind
(pointer to ch6), just a "hey, we don't need these directly, but they
may come in handy in ch6" page.  I know, we don't want to provide too
much option in the book - one path only - but this small change is more
for testers and such that could use the reminder of other things that
could be useful.

2.) End of CH6, before strip - mention TCL, Expect and DejaGnu before
the strip command.  That way, if one decides to go with those, they will
have them already before the strip and won't have to go back and do it
again.

3.) Is there a way to educate the user on how to strip at each package
install?  Worthwhile?  I think so.

4.) The (now removed redirected) link to the kernel build howto mentions
two packages (lspci from pciutils) and mkinitrd.  Would it be a good
idea to put these in LFS as base packages?  My rationale would be for
kernel building dependency.

Thanks
James