A few notes on testing

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 12 01:54:16 PDT 2004

James Robertson said the following on 12-07-2004 04:19:

> 1.) CH5 - at the end, before the strip command - would it be ok, to add
> a list of "optional" packages to the tools set?  I was thinking of vim
> and less for sure.  We would not provide instructions of any kind
> (pointer to ch6), just a "hey, we don't need these directly, but they
> may come in handy in ch6" page.  I know, we don't want to provide too
> much option in the book - one path only - but this small change is more
> for testers and such that could use the reminder of other things that
> could be useful.

This would be OK in a test branch, but not in the stable book. The
target audience of the stable book is not testers, but
intermediate/advanced Linux users who want to learn more about Linux.

> 2.) End of CH6, before strip - mention TCL, Expect and DejaGnu before
> the strip command.  That way, if one decides to go with those, they will
> have them already before the strip and won't have to go back and do it
> again.

Wouldn't it make more sense to specify that in the respective TCL,
Expect and DejaGnu pages themselves?

> 4.) The (now removed redirected) link to the kernel build howto mentions
> two packages (lspci from pciutils) and mkinitrd.  Would it be a good
> idea to put these in LFS as base packages?  My rationale would be for
> kernel building dependency.

Do we want optional dependencies in the book? We've already discussed
this to death with hotplug & udev. The final rationale for putting those
in was that they are useful for a very large group of our audience, and
are the most technically correct way to deal with hardware & devices.
Just being an optional dependency was not enough to include them, so
neither would it be for pciutils and mkinitrd (which are both in BLFS,
so we can always refer to those pages if necessary).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans