A few notes on testing

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jul 12 05:55:55 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, James Robertson wrote:

> 4.) The (now removed redirected) link to the kernel build howto mentions
> two packages (lspci from pciutils) and mkinitrd.  Would it be a good
> idea to put these in LFS as base packages?  My rationale would be for
> kernel building dependency.

 Bloat.

 lspci is useful for kernel developers/testers, or for looking at new
hardware, and is probably a useful thing to have on the *host* system
when trying to work out what to put into the kernel.  Many LFS users
will never need it.  Anyway, /proc/pci is there.

 As for mkinitrd, it's a somewhat arcane requirement.  Yes, some people
need it, but it adds nothing for most of us.

Ken