A few notes on testing

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 12 07:25:27 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, James Robertson wrote:
>

>>4.) The (now removed redirected) link to the kernel build howto mentions
>>two packages (lspci from pciutils) and mkinitrd.  Would it be a good
>>idea to put these in LFS as base packages?  My rationale would be for
>>kernel building dependency.
>>
>  Bloat.
>
>  lspci is useful for kernel developers/testers, or for looking at new
> hardware, and is probably a useful thing to have on the *host* system
> when trying to work out what to put into the kernel.  Many LFS users
> will never need it.  Anyway, /proc/pci is there.
>
>  As for mkinitrd, it's a somewhat arcane requirement.  Yes, some people
> need it, but it adds nothing for most of us.

Good points.  Thanks ken.  We can put notes in on /proc/pci for the
reader to look at.  Also the howto mentions /proc/cpuinfo to get a full
readout on your proc.  That comes in handy when building the kernel.  I
posted a reply to Jeroen a few minutes ago.  I mentioned there that we
could just provide links over to BLFS pages like we do for other
packages for these.

As for your comment "probably a useful thing to have on the *host*
system" -- Don't we want LFS to be a host system able to build itself?
I just think the links over to BLFS would be fine.

> Ken

James