A few notes on testing

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 12 10:20:54 PDT 2004

Rickard Niklasson wrote:

> On Monday 12 July 2004 14.55, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, James Robertson wrote:
>>
>>>4.) The (now removed redirected) link to the kernel build howto mentions
>>>two packages (lspci from pciutils) and mkinitrd.  Would it be a good
>>>idea to put these in LFS as base packages?  My rationale would be for
>>>kernel building dependency.
>>
>> Bloat.
>>
>> lspci is useful for kernel developers/testers, or for looking at new
>>hardware, and is probably a useful thing to have on the *host* system
>>when trying to work out what to put into the kernel.  Many LFS users
>>will never need it.  Anyway, /proc/pci is there.
>>
>>Ken
>
> According to the kernel configuration /proc/pci has been deprecated in favor
> of lspci. It is still in the kernel but it may be removed in future versions
> so I don't think we should assume it's available. That doesn't mean we should
> add lspci however...
>
> Rickard Niklasson

That is good to know.  Was not aware of that one.  Is proc going
entirely away in favor of that new sysfs thing?  We probably need to
talk about that some in the book or link to other docs that talk about
it.  Either way, the idea of linking to BLFS for the possible side
packages should still work.

James