My resignation

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 12 15:29:43 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess said the following on 12-07-2004 23:23:
> that a) volunteers know what they're volunteering for and b) The project
> takes on those volunteers best suited to helping it reach its goals.
> Without those goals being explicitly stated and easily accessible then I
> don't think we can ever expect to reduce the turnover of staff we've
> experienced recently. Personal agendas will simply get in the way of any
> progress if those goals are not known.

Totally agree with the above. Bill started the work on the Mission
Statement and all Manifesto's, and it's about time LFS got one. I truly
believe it will help the project. In the past, the project's direction
was set by Gerard. Since he's the founder, nobody ever questioned his
authority or his decisions. Unfortunately, no successor can ever hope to
have the same faith and backing of the community. Thus, the authority
should be transferred to something independant of any person (eg. the
mission statement). Any project leader or coordinator will then function
as the watchdog of the mission statement.

Also, I agree that not anybody should be able to become editor (no
offense meant to current/past editors), and we should definetely raise
the bar and make it harder for people to become an editor. It should be
an admirable, respectable and coveted position.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans