lfs-bootscripts-2.2.1 released

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 12 23:14:06 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

>   Kevin will be replying with the requiraments to use his
> ipv4-static-route script to setup the gateway [as an alternative to
> GATEWAY=].  This is a optional change, but I would like to see this in
> the future someday.

The new scripts support directory based configuration
(already released in 2.2.0 and in the book), which allows for easy
configuration of multiple addresses on a single interface (without using
aliases). For example, if you have two addresses for eth0, you can create:

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4-1
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=192.168.170.1
PREFIX=24

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ipconfig.eth0/ipv4-2
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=192.168.170.2
PREFIX=24

Both addresses will be added to the interface (and messages displayed
during startup to show you what is happening). The names of the files
inside the ifconfig.eth0 are not important, except that they are
processed in alphanumeric sort order so if there are dependencies
between them you can name them to get them processed in the proper order.

Finally, the static route service that I proposed a couple of weeks ago
has been added as well, although simplified since it only has to support
iproute2 now. To use it for setting your default gateway (as an
alternative to using GATEWAY= in an ipv4-static configuration file,
which should be deprecated in a future release):

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4-default-route
SERVICE=ipv4-static-route
TYPE=default
GATEWAY=192.168.170.254

The static route service also supports routes to remote networks, remote
hosts, and "unreachable" routes (used for blackholing parts of the
network/Internet). See the README file for more details.