Everyone is leaving?

kyle borreson kyle.borreson at operamail.com
Tue Jul 13 04:18:53 PDT 2004

How about we get an opinion from someone who realy doesn't have any stake in what is included into the book.

please, no-one take any personal here, these are just my observations and opinions (which we are all alowed to have, even if we don't always agree about them)

I've been playing with LFS for several years now.  I have always loved how "I" have the final say in what is built on my system as opposed to what the distro tells me is required.  In fact, even now I am not following the book exactly, no LFS user I have ever met does.  It's just supposed to be a launch point for us to learn and understand what the bare minimums are for a user-box.

One thing that always disapointed me about the old 2-tier system was how slowly it seemed to update. say version glibc-2.2.5 was released, but the book was still back on 2.2.1 (been a while folks, versions are probably a little off)

I think that this new 3-tier is probably one of the best things to help speed up the lfs development because you guys, the developers now have a free branch to mess up with...  I almost always used the cvs branch, simply because it used the newer ("flashier?") versions of the packages

This is what I understand the 3-tiers to mean, as the "average" builder... if that term can be applied to any of us?
Stable is the branch that has survived all of us... and is known to be, if not rock solid, then at least production-grade reliability.

Testing is for those of us who want something a little newer maybe, for those of us who don't need quite the same level of reliability.  but it is still a branch that we can Expect to compile clean and work.  Here is where we find the more subtle errors/incompatibilities...

The Unstable Branch (my personal favorite), much like the old maps (Off the edge of the map - here there be monsters)
unstable is the playground where the developers get to experiment, try different solutions, techniques, etc..  simply because this is the branch that can not be expeted to build out of the box 100%... It's unstable.

I agree that the developers need to keep each other informed on what they are working on,not always their exact solution, although it would be nice from my perspective to see how they've tried to solve something and not always had it work.
We sometimes learn more by what doesn't work than what does.

I'm personally saddened to see the amount of people leaving LFS development (I would like to get involved in development a little more, I just don't have near the knowledge yet, but I can post the few things that I can find...)

LFS has always been to me the guide book...  If you follow the book you get a working system.  If I want to leave the path, that's my risk, but I always have the book to fall back on if I make to big a mess.  I don't understand everything behing the udev/hotplug difficulties yet, but from what I read on the lists, I think that hotplug might not be ready for prime-time yet, so it stays in cvs... so it can be worked on.

Sorry about the length on this, I'm probably just rambling now, (see todays earlier posts) but I just wanted to get my two bits in on this.  I would much rather see a larger group of developers who don't always agree, but are willing to work things out, than I would fewer developers who all work the exact same way...
At least I would know that other solutions have been tried, and even if we don't have the best solution, we would at least have the best we found to date...  But unfortunantly this means tha the developers have to be willing to see something they've worked on be discarded in favor of someone elses solution and realize that it is not anything against them personally, but that perhaps an easier to understand solution has been found?  I know it can be hard to spend a few hours on a project, solve the problem, only to find that a slightly more appropriate solution has been found by someone else...  The devlopers should be more concerned with finding solutions than with how much of the book is "theirs."

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, as I said these are just MY opinions.  And, as an outsider looking in, it's just what I'm seeing.  It just seems to me that we have a few developers who are too interested in seeing their work be used, to the possible detriment of the project itself...

Kyle

Hopefully I haven't alienated too many people with this..

Kyle