A few notes on testing

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 11:20:06 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:30:03 +0100
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:20:54 -0500
> James Robertson <jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

> > That is good to know.  Was not aware of that one.  Is proc going
> > entirely away in favor of that new sysfs thing?
>
> No. its just going to be for process information, as it always should
> have been.

Then I wonder how hotplug will do it's coldplugging then?  I mean the
*.rc scripts currently use /proc/[bus] (where bus is USB, PCI, etc.)
to determine what hardware is present on boot.  Maybe it'll force
hotplug to only do hotplugging (which arguably should be the case now
anyway).  I still wonder though what happens if one compiles an
"always-present" hardware device driver as a module though in such a
situation.  The module won't be loaded until access is attempted, but
access can't be attempted because the device isn't present yet
(assuming udev here).  Maybe they're expecting us to make manual calls
to 'mknod' within our bootscripts?  Or maybe they're trying to force
people to do the Right Thing with regard to modules - i.e. only use them
for hotpluggable devices.  Sucks to have an NVidia or ATI graphics card
then eh? :)

Regards,

Matt.