My resignation

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 13:07:23 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:52:24 +0100
Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:41:43 -0400
> > Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I think you need to define this clearly:

> The LFS system will be representative of a modern Linux system,
> incorporating the latest technology/functionality where it doesn't
> detract from the educational value of the book, and it aids in
> achieving point 4 below.

> To me a modern Linux system is the latest packages, (yes Linux-2.6.7),
> using udev, hotplug....
>
> To others this might be a bit too unstable.  And we might as well
> be educational about the future.

Agreed, although it is only a work in progress so far.  It's also very
much a "fuzzy" area, one which is particularly prone to
misinterpretation if the wrong words are written, or the written words
are read wrongly.  As we can't quanititate the educational value of the
book as much as we can it's timeliness or stability, then it'll come
down to the usual judgement calls I think.  However, I am very much
willing to be proved wrong on this.  If someone can come up with wording
that clearly and unambiguously defines what an LFS system represents and
how that affects its development then I'm all ears :)

> I also disagree with IRC being used for design; it is ideal for
> discussion; but proposals should be posted to hackers.

Indeed, that's why I've made a conscious effort to not venture in there
over the last week or so.  I was getting too caught up in the unstable
side of things and agreeing to changes without realising the full impact
that they may have.  I really feel that my place is somewhere near the
'testing' branch - I can see what the last stable release was, and what
the upcoming changes to stable are.  I can also see the changes going
into the unstable branch, but from an impartial outsiders point of view.
 I'm not saying I'm the only one that can or should do this, merely that
that's what I think my efforts should be concentrated on.

Cheers,

Matt.