A few notes on testing

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 13 13:18:00 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:27:49 -0700
"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
> > Then I wonder how hotplug will do it's coldplugging then?  I mean
> > the*.rc scripts currently use /proc/[bus] (where bus is USB, PCI,
> > etc.) to determine what hardware is present on boot.
>
> Those same scripts know how to scan /sys/bus/pci as well, and will do
> when /sys is present.

But I thought that /sys (as the mount point for sysfs) will only be
populated by the information exported via the device drivers.  If those
drivers are modules, then we've got a chicken & egg problem, no?  I
mean, the scripts will scan /sys which won't have any entries for
devices with modules as the modules haven't been loaded yet.  But the
modules can't be loaded because the kernel doesn't know what devices are
present (due to scanning a currently empty /sys dir).  This of course
brings us back to Zacks modules script, but this surely can't be how
kernel/hotplug devs envisaged device creation/module loading to work?

Cheers,

Matt.